The Diploma in Grade R Teaching is the minimum qualification for Grade R teachers. The purpose of the Diploma in Grade R Teaching is to develop teachers who can demonstrate general principles, as well as focused knowledge and skills appropriate for Grade R teaching.
The qualification requires a depth of specialisation of knowledge, together with practical skills and experience in a Grade R classroom teaching context. As part of the qualification, students are expected to gain experience in applying such knowledge and skills in the context of working with Grade R learners in a school.
The primary purpose of this qualification is to empower teachers with the appropriate skills and knowledge to the curricula, and to optimise any teaching-learning situation.
The programme duration is 3 years minimum.
The career field that is applicable when obtaining this qualification is:
- An educator/teacher in primary education, i.e., Grade R.
Upon successful completion of your programme, you will receive a certificate depicting: - Diploma in Grade R Teaching and an academic transcript. These documents will be issued at the annual graduation ceremony,
couriered to the nearest branch or posted to you, provided that your account is in order.
It is the learners responsibility to ensure they meet all the programme requirements before a qualification can be
- A National Senior Certificate (NSC) with Diploma endorsement, or
- A National Certificate Vocational (NCV) at NQF Level 4 with Diploma endorsement, or
- Amended Senior Certificate (ASC), with Diploma endorsement, or
- A Senior Certificate (SC); or
- Foreign School leaving Certificate that complies with minimum admission requirements for Diploma study as gazetted by the Matriculation Board (Equivalency evaluation is completed with the Matriculation Board)
- A Level 4 or 5 Certificate or Diploma in ECD may also be presented for admission and assessment pertaining to advanced credit standing (MRTEQ, 2011).
- Alternative admission requirements
- Senate discretionary admission
- Mature Age (23 and 45 years of age): Conditions apply
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
- Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy and English at NQF level 4 or equivalent
- Foreign applicants whose first language is not English, may be required to provide proof of proficiency in English prior to admission to the programme