The Diploma in Public Administration is a three-year qualification that reflects the needs of management in the public sector where both hard and soft skills are in short supply. Competent practitioners in this sector are required to improve quality standards, increase productivity levels, address performance requirements and obtain current and appropriate knowledge and skills in key management areas.
In todays world of Public Administration characterised by corruption, abuse of public funds and service delivery deficiency, the Diploma in Public Administration is designed to mould future Public Administrators that are ethical, accountable and responsible, with a passion to contribute to the development of the economy.
This programme responds to this need by providing students with a range of relevant and essential management and administrative skills that will increase opportunities for their successful contribution to, and growth in the public sector. This programme is directed primarily at persons with some foundational management knowledge and work experience, and who would like to expand their management and administrative competencies. Key areas of the programme include general management and related disciplines such as local government management, public management and public law.
The programme will be of benefit to individuals who intend starting a career in public administration and who understand the importance of management skills as an integral part of any successful and responsive public sector.
The programme duration is 3 years minimum.
Learners could pursue a career as a:
- Manager within the local
- Provincial and national government
- Public administration officer
- Supervisors and administration clerks in the various branches of the public sector and quasi-government Organisations
- Public Administration
- Public Affairs
- Public Policy Researcher
Upon successful completion of your programme, you will receive a certificate depicting: - Diploma in Public
Administration and an academic transcript. These documents will be issued at the annual graduation ceremony,
couriered to the nearest branch or posted to you, provided that your account is in order.
It is the learners responsibility to ensure they meet all the programme requirements before a qualification can be
- A Grade 12 Certificate with admission to diploma studies
- An achievement rating of 3 (40% - 49%) in 4 recognised 20 credit-bearing subjects
- English at grade 12/NQF level 4 or equivalent
- Age Exemption (23 years or older)
- At least five years of post-Secondary School experience in the field in which the student wishes to study
and Proof of English language proficiency and
- National Senior Certificate or equivalent
- Mature age applicants, 45 years and older without a school leaving qualification, may apply for conditional
- Foreign Students whose first language is not English, may be required to provide proof of proficiency in English prior to admission to the programme